An Interactive Annotated World Bibliography of Printed and Digital Works in the History of Medicine and the Life Sciences from Circa 2000 BCE to 2022 by Fielding H. Garrison (1870-1935), Leslie T. Morton (1907-2004), and Jeremy M. Norman (1945- ) Traditionally Known as “Garrison-Morton”
Permanent Link for Entry #12571
A catalogue of the medical library, belonging to the Pennsylvania Hospital; exhibiting the names of authors and editors, in alphabetical order, and an arrangement of them under distinct heads. Also, a list of articles contained in the anatomical museum; and the rules of the museum and of the library.Philadelphia: Printed for the Hospital, 1806.
Probably the first catalogue of a medical museum in the United States and also possibly the first catalogue of an institutional medical library. The library was open to users for a one time payment of $30, later raised to $40. Paid members received a copy of the printed library catalogue. Thmae lending rules were very strict, and limited to a maximum of two loaned books at a time. A folio could be borrowed for 4 weeks, quartos for 3 weeks, octavos and duodecimos for two weeks. The librarian required a hefty cash deposit for all books loaned, at least one-third more than the book's value, to be refunded only if books were returned "undefaced." Plus a fine of 12.5 cents per week was levied for late returns. After three months books were considered lost, and deposits forfeited. Certain books, that were apparently much in demand, would not be lent out of the hospital. Those are listed on p. vii. Digital facsimile from the Internet Archive at this link. Much expanded edition, 1818.
Subjects: BIBLIOGRAPHY › Bibliographical Classics, HOSPITALS, MUSEUMS › Medical, Anatomical & Pathological , U.S.: CONTENT OF PUBLICATIONS BY STATE & TERRITORY › Pennsylvania