An Interactive Annotated World Bibliography of Printed and Digital Works in the History of Medicine and the Life Sciences from Circa 2000 BCE to 2022 by Fielding H. Garrison (1870-1935), Leslie T. Morton (1907-2004), and Jeremy M. Norman (1945- ) Traditionally Known as “Garrison-Morton”
Permanent Link for Entry #12658
A companion to the Liverpool Museum, containing a brief description of upwards of seven thousand natural and foreign curiosities, antiquities and productions of fine arts, collected during several years of arduous research, and at an expense of upwards of twenty thousand pounds. And now open for inspection, in the Great Room, No. 22, Piccadilly, London, which has been fitted up for the purpose in a manner entirely new.London: Printed for the Proprietor, 1809.
Bullock founded his Museum of Natural Curiosities at 24 Lord Street in Liverpool in 1795. While still trading as a jeweller and goldsmith, in 1801 he published a descriptive catalogue of the works of art, armor, objects of natural history, and other curiosities in the museum, some of which had been brought back by members of James Cook's expeditions. In 1809, Bullock moved to London and the museum, housed first at 22 Piccadilly and in 1812 in the newly built Piccadilly Egyptian Hall, proved extremely popular. The collection, which included over 32,000 items, was disposed of by auction in 1819. Digital facsimile of the 7th edition of the 1809 catalogue from the Internet Archive at this link. An illustrated catalogue of the museum, with 30 plates, was first published in 1812.
Subjects: MUSEUMS, MUSEUMS › Natural History Museums / Wunderkammern